This is first exhibition on Sandro Botticelli to be held in a German-speaking area. From 31 November 2009 to 28 February 2010 the Städel Museum will host masterpieces of this great Renaissance master, thanks also to a contribution of the Italian National Tourism Agency and the Italian Cultural Institute of Frankfurt.
The exhibition features works from various stages of the Botticelli’s life, after almost 500 years from his death in May1510. The show starts with the Museum collection’s main possession, the monumental “Idealized Portrait of a Lady” (c. 1480); the second section consists of mythological divinities and heroic female images, while the third displays various religious scenes.
Works have been lent by the most important European and American collections, including Florence’s Uffizi, the Louvre in Paris, London’s National Gallery , the Berlin and Dresden painting museums, New York’s Metropolitan and the National Gallery in Washington.
The ideal beauty of Botticelli’s mythological figures and the elegant grace of his Virgin figures make his creations the essence of Florentine painting in the Golden Age under Lorenzo il Magnifico’s rule. It is less his masterful translation of Renaissance ideals which is the reason for the much-praised magic of his pictorial solutions, but rather the extraordinary articulateness of his figurative creations presenting their classically sophisticated beauty in a solemn style and with an often melancholic shade. Originally trained as a goldsmith and then apprenticed to Fra Filippo Lippi, Botticelli, with Verrocchio, Ghirlandaio, and the Pollaiuolo brothers, ranks among the most successful artists in Florence in the second half of the 15th Century. From 1470 on, he received prominent public commissions and became well-known as a painter of large altarpieces.